4.03.2012

Balsamic-Glazed Prunes and Blackberries with Basil and Feta

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

I have some odd childhood memories of both prunes and blackberries.

You see, when I was little, my lovely mother tried to get me to eat prunes. I remember thinking they tasted like old lady food. We also used to have a blackberry tree in our back yard when I was very little. I remember watching my dog run around my back yard and picking blackberries with my dad.

Old lady food and berries picked with dad. Sounds wholesome, right?

This dish was created out of the need for a small-yet-delicious afternoon snack. Justin and I had just returned from a Birthday weekend visit with his family in Holland, Michigan (where I tried to surprise him with a birthday dinner… and failed miserably… more on that another day!). Without the energy to cook a whole meal… and without wanting to stuff our faces before heading to the gym (yeah, we actually made it to the gym after the drive back!), we were looking for something small and light. I stuck my head in the fridge, saw the prunes I had recently bought on a whim, and got to work. Fruit and balsamic vinegar have an eternal love affair, so I decided to capitalize on that. Soon came the blackberries and basil.

It is the perfect blend of sweet and tart. The balsamic vinegar reduces to a thicker sauce, which adds a semi tart outer layer to the fruit, particularly the prunes, which become even sweeter and softer. The berry flavor is really brought out by the vinegar and the basil… oh, the basil. Why is basil so amazing? It is perfect in salads, with cheese and tomato, and with fruit?! Geez. Talk about super-spice.

Oh, dear… and let’s not forget the Feta. It adds something slightly savory to the dish without taking it out of dessert-land.

Oh, and did I mention that PRUNES ARE FILLED WITH FIBER?!










Balsamic-Glazed Prunes and Blackberries with Basil and Feta

Cook Time: 7 Minutes
Servings: 2
Calories Per Serving: 193
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
  • 3/4 cup Dried Prunes
  • 1/2 cup Blackberries
  • 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons chopped Basil Leaves (or dried basil)
  • 1/2 tablespoon Reduced Fat Feta Cheese (or Fat Free)
Directions:
  1. Combine prunes, blackberries, and balsamic vinegar in a pan over medium heat.
  2. Continue to stir to prevent burning and heat for 5 minutes or until balsamic begins to reduce (thicken).
  3. Add basil and feta, then heat for additional 2 minutes.
  4. Serve!

2 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds divine combined!And I never thought of that! I will try it =)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips