4.17.2012

Carrot Cake Protein Shake

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

Question: Can You Have Your Cake and Drink It Too?

Why, YES, you can... And Why It's GREAT For You:
  • Almost TWENTY TWO Grams of Protein
  • Very low in saturated fat
  • Very high in calcium
  • High in iron
  • High in manganese
  • Very high in phosphorus
  • High in riboflavin
  • Very high in vitamin A

Compiled using CalorieCount via About.com






When I first met Justin, I remember wanting badly to make him a cake (gifts are my love language and delicious-yet-healthy treats are my food language, so by the transitive properties of gifting-love-dom... umm... nevermind). I remember standing in the baking aisle at Jewel, with him on the phone. There I was, staring right at a box of carrot cake mix, and I asked him… “Do you like carrot cake?”  His response? It’s not my favorite.

Woe is me. I guess we’ll go with Chocolate, then..

So, when I suggested trying out and altering a Carrot Cake Milkshake recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie, I was utterly surprised at his response: Let’s do it! Looks delicious.

In fact, it was even his idea, after returning from doing the Body By Science workout at the gym, to turn it into a protein shake. And so we did.

Protein shakes are something I’m working on for you guys… because I want to show you that protein shakes should be utterly delicious. So here’s “Episode Two” (For episode one , check out peanut butter banana protein shakes). Because it should not only be good FOR you, but it should also TASTE good, too! 







Carrot Cake Protein Shake
Servings: 2
Calories Per Serving: 216
Protein Per Serving: 21.8 g
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Weight Watchers Points (Old): 4
Weight Watchers Points Plus (New): 5

Ingredients (makes two, so cut it in half if you only want one... or you can opt to chill the second glass for the next day!):
  • 1 large banana, frozen (it will save you a headache if you peel it, then put it in a bag and freeze it... but if you forget, you can always peel it afterward with a knife and your very very frozen fingers)
  • 1 cup milk (skim milk or unsweetened vanilla almond milk are both great, but any milk substitute will also work -- just be aware that slight flavor changes will come with any major substitutions!) **Caloric information compiled using unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 2 servings protein powder (Just use the prescribed amount per persoof powder for one "serving" of your particular brand)
  • 2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
  • 1 tsp Cinnamon
  • 1 small carrot (or two baby carrots), peeled
  • Tiny dash of salt

Directions:
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender
  2. Add a few cubes of ice only if your blender is good enough to chop them all up! 
  3. Blend well and serve!

7 comments:

  1. did you cook the carrot like chocolate covered katie says to do? i'm trying to figure out if it will make a big enough difference. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope! I think it just helps make it softer, but I trust my blender!

      Delete
  2. Made this and it was yummy! Always in search for a tasty and healthy smoothie! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, What a Great Site, All of the Health Related Posts Are So Informative for People With Review. Advocare Meal Replacement

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips