11.15.2012

Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad with Brown Butter

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF

I've got some delicious comfort food for you today, guys. And also a lesson. It's very simple and can probably go without saying to some of us, but it's always good to be reminded of.

Be random.

I'll admit that I can become a slave to routine on occasion. A victim of schedule. I can become so excited about plans I've made that I forget to let myself go.

But it's important. Because life is short. And I think I'm spot on in saying that life wasn't meant to be rigid, scheduled, and organized... at least, not all the time. Life is for jumping into the ocean and spontaneous picnic trips to Wicker Park, for putting Sriracha on everything, even though it makes you jump up and down as your mouth burns with fire. Life wants us to give in to random, sometimes.

...so when you randomly feel the urge to buy a butternut squash at Jewel, buy it!


Also, browned butter. Too delicious. But I should warn you: there is such a thing as too much. I swear I had a browned butter headache this weekend after making a batch of cookies and eating far too many. No, I'm not insane.



Butternut Squash Quinoa Salad

Servings: 4
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 butternut squash
  • 1/4 stick butter
  • Italian seasoning
  • Sea salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts
  • 2 cups Quinoa
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 tablespoon cumin powder
  • 2 tablespoons Feta Cheese
Directions:
  1. Strip and cut butternut squash. Use a veggie peeler to strip the outside layer, then cut about 1/2 an inch off of the top and bottom (this will keep it stable). Cut in half (basically at its "waist"), then cut down the center of each of those pieces. Spoon out the seeds inside, then chop remaining "meaty" parts into small cubes, about 1/2 inch thick. Sound confusing? Here's a tutorial.
  2. Brown the butter (Don't know how? Here's a tutorial!). Add butternut squash cubes and sprinkle with Italian seasoning. Mix well, then keep on medium low heat for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  3. Meanwhile, combine rinsed quinoa and water, then heat over medium heat until boiling. Add cumin, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  4. Add pine nuts to butternut squash and continue to stir occasionally for another 5-10 minutes, or until butternut squash is soft.
  5. Add butternut squash to cooked quinoa and toss well. Add feta cheese just before serving.
Notes:
  • A big Butternut Squash will make enough for 10 servings. For this recipe, you should only need about 1/2 of one... but depending on the ratio of butternut squash to quinoa you're looking for, feel free to experiment. It's not an exact science here. 

2 comments:

  1. I was searching a recipe with butternut squash, found your site and just made this! Delicious! Thank you!!!

    Great recipe that will be added to my Fall cooking routine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! So glad you liked it! :) Feel free to send me a picture and I'll post it to Facebook!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips