11.28.2012

Italian Overnight Kale Salad with Sea Salt

Pin It Print Friendly and PDF
When I was in High School, I used to get sick a lot. A lot. Like I missed 28 days of school one year. So, in the interest of boosting my immune system, my mom decided to force me to start juicing (at 17 years old, I was very opposed to the idea and thought it tasted like garbage sludge). The key ingredient she continued to put in these garbage sludge smoothies? Kale.


Five years later, I started putting Kale in my salads. Though my immune system is now near teflon (thanks to consistent exercise and healthy eating), I am always looking for the next healthy element I can incorporate into my life. After reading about the seemingly never ending health benefits of Kale, I was sold.

Only I wasn't eating it right. I was just throwing it in a salad and eating it immediately. Little did I know that there really is a better way to eat Kale. It needs a bit of... coaxing.


Enter this new method. By letting the Kale marinate in olive oil and lemon juice overnight (or at least for a solid few hours), the Kale begins to break down just slightly, enough to get rid of the bitter flavor Kale tends to have when eaten on its own.

Combined with Italian toppings and Sea Salt, this is officially my favorite salad ever. I love it so much that, when I couldn't find pre-cut Kale at the grocery store this week, I was legitimately upset. It's just that good.


Italian Overnight Kale Salad with Sea Salt

Servings: 2 (Feel free to cut in half for only one serving, but keep in mind that this salad keeps very well in the fridge, so making it ahead of time doesn't hurt!)
Ingredients:
  • 4 cups Kale
  • Zest of 1 Lemon
  • Juice of 1 Lemon
  • 2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
  • Sea Salt
  • Pepper
  • 1/3 Red Pepper, coarsely chopped
  • 1/4 Cup Shaved Parmesan
  • 2 tbsp Purple Onion, coarsely chopped
Directions:
  1. Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, and a sprinkling of sea salt and pepper in a bowl. Whisk.
  2. Rinse Kale and cut into ribbons (or any bite size pieces) and pour mixture over the Kale. Toss.
  3. In a small tupperware, combine shaved parmesan cheese, chopped red pepper, and chopped purple onion.
  4. Cover both bowls and store overnight. 
  5. To serve, put marinated Kale on a plate or in a bowl and drizzle extra virgin olive oil over the salad. Then, spoon cheese/pepper/purple onion on top. Top with Sea Salt and Black Pepper, if desired.

P.S. Looking for more Kale in your life? Check out Sea Salt Kale Chips, Sriracha Polenta with Kale Chips, and The Ultimate Salad of Health


7 comments:

  1. New Follower here via eat Yourself Skinny.

    All of your recipes look AMAZING! I know these will help me get fit and lose some weight before my wedding.

    Can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Courtney :) So happy to have you! Let me know if you have any questions!
      -Carly

      Delete
  2. I was referred here from Eat Yourself Skinny and i am already in love. This salad looks so yummy. I think I have to make my way to the store today to buy me some kale!! I usually don't use it in salads because of its strong taste and texture but this looks amazing and I simply must try it. xx. McKenna Lou

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey McKenna! So glad you're here :) I agree, sometimes it's far too bitter in taste... but this recipe really takes the edge off and makes it delicious! I hope you try it :)
      -Carly

      Delete
  3. This looks amazing! I usually just make kale into "chips" by roasting it...definitely going to give this a try!
    And I'm your latest follower so looking forward to more great recipes and posts!
    Lulu x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey LuLu! I love roasting kale "chips" too!!!!! Hope you like this recipe, as well :)
      -Carly

      Delete
  4. Your mom is a smart lady! I probably wouldn't have liked those juices at that age either...I only 'like' kale because I know it's good for me, but I bet this will make me like it for real!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips